Wednesday, 3 August 2022

Sunshine, biking and home

We left Te Aroha and decided to spend one more night away as the weather had improved.  We drove to Ray's Rest again which is a freedom camping area on the Kaiua coast.  We went for a decent bike ride and I found myself gaining confidence which is great.  I rode over small bridges and around some tight corners and over cattle stops.  We are looking forward to getting out on the longer trails in summer!  

Our bikes have a thing called torque control so that when you pedal it just give a bit of assistance.  You still have full control and need to pedal but wow, the difference is fantastic, especially when riding up a hill or into the wind. 

Since getting home we've cleaned the motorhome, mowed the lawn and generally done all the household jobs.  We got the boys from school yesterday and Charlie has stayed the night - Cole didn't as he has to be at school very early as he is doing a thing called 'The Mud Run.'  Yes, it's as gross as it sounds... running through a mud course but he's doing it with friends so is very excited.

I've organised a dinner out with the family for my birthday on Thursday so that's something to look forward to.  I'm not sure turning 66 is something to be excited about but hey, it's better than the alternative.

This weekend Stu will give F another driving lesson - he is doing well and he drives with his Mum sometimes but needs more proper lessons.  

I have a specialist appointment on Monday to get my thigh lumps looked at.  It's with a plastic surgeon who will do the operation.  Thankfully on my new ebike the lumps don't bother me (they did on my stationary exercise bike) but I want them gone.  

I'm also experiencing worsening reflux so I know that I'll have to go and get an endoscopy for that... I'm putting that off for now though.  I already take omeprazole for it as I have a hiatus hernia but it has become worse.  Eating well certainly helps so that's what I'm concentrating on right now.  I have lost a couple of kilos over the last month or two as well.

We are off next week for about 8 nights away up north!  Very exciting as I've never been up to the top of the north island and that's our plan.  It's a shame we can't go for longer but Stu has appointments and other things get in the way.  That's the beauty of having our own motorhome though, we can be flexible with our plans and travel.

~ Lynda


We had a lovely meal out in Te Aroha and walked to and from the restaurant (from the motorhome park).  The bridge is nearly 100 years old and was so quaint with the original old lamplights. 



Our for dinner.  I didn't make too much effort dressing up but hey, it's winter.  I'll do better this week for the family meal out :) My goodness though I'm showing my age!



Pork for Stu, duck for me.  



The pub/restaurant where we ate... it's called the "Duck and Cover" and is in an old, historic bank building.



There's lots of street art around Te Aroha so of course Stu wanted a photo of him on the dog.



Ray's Rest where we've stayed before.  It's always lovely and there are always LOADS of other motorhomes!



13 comments:

  1. Hi all looks and sounds fabulous...Peta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peta... Oh and I'm so glad you can comment again!!

      Delete
  2. You guys are having so much fun :-). Enjoy your birthday dinner, focus on having a lovely time & forget about the age - it's just a number :-).

    With the hiatus hernia, there is actually a manouvre an experienced Chiropractor can do which helps it. I had it done a couple of years ago when I was going to the college for treatments and the supervising chiro happened to be experienced in doing it. Not something they let the baby chiro's do. I am going to ask mine if she can do it now as I have been getting reflux again too. It is not a permanant solution but seems to work for a few weeks or months at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm way too scared to get any manipulation done. I know diet is the biggest trigger for me so I just have to watch that for now. There is an operation for it but I won't do that unless it's the last resort.

      Delete
  3. You are certainly getting the most of the motorhome. It's great that you can be flexible in where and when you go. I have had to go back on reflux medication. I know what to do to fix it but those ducks are hard to line up at the moment. You look damn good for 66. I'm about 3 weeks behind you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the money it costs for a motorhome you sure want to be able to use it! Thanks for the compliment... I assure you I look every bit my age :)

      Delete
  4. Motorhome trips sound and look wonderful. Happy birthday. 66 is a good number lol I turned the same number earlier this year. Yes the alternative is not negotiable! Happy to keep the numbers rising as my husband and I are enjoying the freedom of retirement and all it brings after working hard and planning and lucky enough (so far) for it to be working out well. Happy birthday Lynda, hope you have a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhonda - yes I am having a lovely day :)

      Delete
  5. Stop you look fabulous! Happy 66! Have a wonderful celebration. I also responded to your question about the vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I’m looking forward to our family dinner out.

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday Lynda! it is also mine...68 for me but lets both be 56 and 58...lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. oops from me Peta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually guess it's you Peta when it's left anonymous. Happy birthday to you as well!!

      Delete