That's how long we've been in lockdown. Three damn months. Today they announced that the Waikato area could go back to Level 2 which is basically total freedom and I just wanted to cry. It's been too long now since we've been able to leave Auckland or eat a meal out or whatever else we can't do. Yes, the shops opened last week which is fantastic but we are still prisoners within the boundary.
I got a covid test last week because I had a sore throat -- it was negative as I thought it would be but it was still good to know. Stu got a test today because he has a 'border exemption' to leave Auckland to finish setting up a studio in Hamilton. He still isn't able to go and see his father though, even though he gets out of Auckland.
On other news, we have sold our beach house pending the buyer getting finance. Fingers crossed for that and if all goes well, the sale will be final on 9 December. There is a Covid clause in the contract though which means the settlement is delayed until 10 days after we finally get out of Auckland. That is great for us because it means we will be able to go over and sort out stuff and say goodbye.
It's funny, I'm feeling really sad about finally selling but I'm only sad for the wonderful past memories. We were not going to have many future memories there because the boys now holiday up north. We have so many new memories to make now! Oh and we got a good price for the place (about what we expected). The lady who has bought it has not seen it yet, only via a video walk around by the agent. I really want to get the place absolutely lovely for her to take over.
The boys go back to school on Wednesday and then Friday. They will only be doing two days a week but it's really good for them to get back.
I have finally FINISHED all the photo albums for everyone for Christmas and ordered them. It was a really long job, 5 different albums in all. I hope they look OK printed out. I also put the Christmas tree up tonight... yes, early but what the heck. I think a lot of people are decorating and putting up trees early this year.
~ Lynda
We went around to my daughter's for F's birthday, it was lovely to have another family night. He is such a lovely 'young man' now.
| Happy 16th birthday to my baby grandson :) |
| My tree so far. It's actually all gold and silver decorations and only looks blue due to the lights (which are white too). I may add red, not sure yet. |
Congrats on sales and birthdays!
ReplyDeleteAre new owners taking some of your stuff or are you selling or storing or what? There is probably more there than one realizes. Or can you just absorb back into your main house?
The house has been sold fully furnished... everything except personal items and things I want to keep will stay. All we will be taking will be things like a few towels, our clothes and toiletries, extra bowls and knives, books, games etc. It will still be quite a lot but nothing like if we had to clear the entire place. I will repurpose much of that stuff into the motorhome or here and then donate the rest to our local charity shops.
DeleteFabulous plan, sounds much easier. And so great to have things in hand for motorhome.
DeleteHow quickly will F be out on his own that he might need things? I saved a lot of duplicates for kids in apartments in college which here starts at 18.
Do kids there tend to go to college or trade school or what is the custom and what ages?
Kids here typically go to a local University or take on a trade. Some travel to University and stay in awful student flats :) I'm not one to keep stuff in case so will get rid of anything we don't need. Regarding gifts, I have no idea what to buy but yes, we also have shortages and long delivery times so I'll get onto it as my next job.
DeleteCongratulations on the new freedom, sale of the beach house and birthday. We hung the outside Christmas lights on Sunday. Maybe the tree next weekend as celebrating will be early this year since my son is leaving on holidays the first week in December. I have yet to buy the gifts. Certainly does not feel like Christmas is around the corner. All the best.
ReplyDeleteIt sure doesn't feel like Christmas and I've not bought a single gift yet either. I hate gift buying and usually leave that to my daughter :)
DeleteI am well into my shopping (normal for me to be done and wrapped by thanksgiving.) We keep hearing that things will be out of stock and shipping will be slow.
DeleteCongrats on the sale, my Grandson has just turner 4 months old, cant believe it. I know I am lucky living in Level 2 but lately seeing the changes in Isaac, I am really struggling with not being able to see him physically. I am thinking I might put up the tree this week :)
ReplyDeleteThat would be so sad to miss Isaac's early days. It's all just awful for many families.
DeleteKnow your pain re: lockdown Lynda, Melbourne being the most lockdowned city in the world!! What annoyed me more though was the stupidity of some of the rules though rather than the lockdown itself. F is a good looking boy Lynda, how is everything going with the gf.
ReplyDeleteI deliberately didn't mention the GF... she is still hiding out in the bedroom and is too anxious and shy to mix with us. It's really sad.
DeleteCongratulations on the sale, it is a bit sad because you had such lovely times there, but think of all the wonderful times you will have in your new camper van, a new set of memories.
ReplyDeleteOur Christmas decorations are not allowed up until the 1 December, Samyson is in charge this year so it will no doubt look like Christmas exploded over the damn house - we have 3 or 4 trees (I still do not actually know how that happened) and he seems intent on putting them all up. One year he had one suspended upside down from the ceiling!!!
I have done no Christmas shopping this year and have no clue what to get everyone. Not that there are many.
F is growing up so much, I remember reading your blog when he was born :-).
Haha that will look great with all the trees! Yes, F is so grown up now.
DeleteI don't know if I will even bother with a tree this year as we won't be having Christmas at our house. The boys will go to their inlaws on Christmas Day. We are catching up at eldest son's place on the 30th. Sad but that's the way it goes. F is a very good looking young man. I see hearts being broken.
ReplyDeletePut a few decorations up just for yourself to make it feel a bit Christmassy, even if the rest of the family are not there to appreciate it :-)
DeleteI didn't decorate at all last year. Not one single thing inside the house, just a wreath on the door outside.
DeleteYou're selling your house, borders are opening for Xmas. Hope you can get away.
ReplyDeleteWhat happens to all the stuff inside the house? Do you have to empty it?
Yes, it's all looking good for summer! No, we don't have to empty the house, just take our personal stuff out (and there's quite a bit of that). Much easier than having to move it all and sell it though.
Delete