Second post for the day but it's something that I feel is important. There is so much talk about how ineffective a mask is because air gets out and the virus is so tiny you still breath it in etc etc. Yes, I totally get that but not many people are aware of the concept of viral load. Yes, the more 'hit' of a virus you get, the sicker you are. There have been so many doctors and health care workers die because their viral load was so high.
When you are hit with a tiny amount of virus (any virus, not just Covid-19) our immune system steps in and tries to combat the virus. When there is a large viral load ie, a droplet or droplets as opposed to a tiny aerosol, then our immune system is overwhelmed and the virus takes hold. This is thought to explain why many people test positive for Covid-19 but do not get so ill.
If you really want to get technical, here is a video explaining the scientific aspect of this. Go to around 29 minutes in. No problem if you don't want to watch - it basically says wearing a mask REALLY helps.
Dr John Campbell who I have been following throughout this pandemic has also talked about viral load and the efficacy of masks.
Pete Evans (an Australian celebrity chef for those who don't know) has become so incredibly dangerous lately not only using the hashtag #nomasks but also denying the Covid virus is even vaguely serious. He is pushing for people to not wear masks and said that they reduce your immune system so actually harm you. Whatever Pete... crawl back down your rabbit hole. When he was asked the other day on a live Facebook post "if masks are so dangerous, how come doctors and nurses can wear them all day and not get sick?" His crazy answer was just a loud laugh and "I'm amazed you even have to ask that".
OK so I don't believe everything a government tells us but I do believe that they are citizens elected by us to look after our best interest. I don't believe there is a massive agenda to insert microchips in our brains or take away every civil liberty. I choose to be happy and trust that those looking after our country do so in the best interest of us all. If I'm wrong, so be it, but I don't want to spend my life consumed by the crazy conspiracies that are so easily spread over the internet. I don't want to be so worried about a certain food item that might not be the healthiest choice. Yes, I will look after my health and my family as best I can but my God, I will not live in fear of the crazy stuff he is warning us about. If you are curious, just look up "Chef Pete Evans" on Facebook. He has been shadow banned by Facebook which makes his page harder to find.
I'm no scientist but it seems logical to me that if someone sneezes or coughs and most of the droplets stay within a mask then that will surely help those around them.
~ Lynda
It makes common & logical sense - and if TWO people are wearing masks then both have protection i.e the cougher/sneezer contains much of the droplets and the person next to them minimises even further how many droplets may get to their system because their mask protects them largely from those escapee droplets.
ReplyDeleteYes, it seems pretty logical to me. No one is saying it will stop you getting the virus but if we get a minimal viral load our chances of not getting really sick seem a lot better.
DeleteThanks Lynda for this post. Reading it and watching the video put it all into perspective. It’s a no brainer.
ReplyDeleteExactly Rhonda... it's not rocket science but it is science :)
DeleteA mask is worn to protect others. It does not stop the virus, it limits the spread plain and simple! As part of a collective society we should care about each other. Wear a mask, practice social distancing and keep washing those hands! Some people just won't or plain don't care. Be safe.
ReplyDeleteExactly Teresa :)
DeleteThanks Lynda, you are someone I trust and the information you post is reassuring.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if I'm right or wrong, there are so many differing opinions these days. I just do and say what feels right for me. Nice comment though, thanks.
Delete