Yesterday and today the weather has been brilliant - real Spring weather yet it's still winter. Yesterday we went for a long walk and today we did all the garden so the place is looking great.
We are in lockdown but can go for drives or walks and at Level 3 you can also get contactless food from both fast food restaurants and cafes etc. We don't bother but I like that it takes the pressure off supermarkets. When were were in Level 4 lockdown the only place you could buy food was from the supermarket or online delivery places.
I thought I'd show you all a map of where the known cases of covid-19 have been in relation to where we live. If you look at the map below we live right where it says 'Central' so we are surrounded by the new cases. Best we just stay at home I think.
![]() |
| We live where it says "Central". |
I don't have much other news really - I've made a few more masks and put the nose wire ours because otherwise our glasses fog up.
Below is also a really funny photo of Cole - he thought it was hilarious putting the vacuum cleaner on his face and didn't realise it made great big marks all over him!
I have found a wonderful drink - well a drink you can have when you can't drink alcohol... it's called Nosecco. It's like Prosecco but obviously lacking any alcohol. It has approx 1/4 of the calories and only only double the carbs ie, a glass of wine has around 4g of carb and non-alcoholic wine has around 9g. I can live with that :) It won't be an everyday drink but lovely for the weekend or special occasion.
![]() |
| My Nosecco wine and Stu's lower alcohol/carb Peroni. Oh, and potato chips :) |
OK, that's my lot for today - I'm certainly hoping that all will be back to normal by the time we have our planned October holiday!
~ Lynda
Mmmm... what happens when you vacuum your face :)




The difference in the earloops between countries is very interesting. Of the hundreds I have made, very few people wanted earloops.
ReplyDeleteI think you all might be putting masks on to run in the store. I was making masks that people were wearing all day. Ears get sore.
And that is good (for me) because everyone needs a slightly different length of elastic and we were contactless, so I am not sure how I would have done try ons.
I have lots of elastic, I ordered masses before it got impossible to find. So I have been able to accommodate those that wanted earloops.
Most people wanted ties. So many that I ended up having to buy TShirts just to cut them up. It was cheaper to buy T-shirts than T-shirt fabric.
Myself - I like a headband on top and a tie lower. So then I tie it around my neck so I have it available and can pull it on easily as Needed. I am doing curbside and doctors mostly. Some trips to the nurseries and garden centers. The big hardware store near me required masks immediately/very early on and I am thankful, I have felt safe to run in there for things I could not do curbside.
I also still have a lot of the 911 interfacing. So I am set when we need more. Eventually I am going to be doing replacement mask sewing. They get washed so much.
The wire makes a huge difference, I agree. Glad that worked for you. I cannot do the loops at the end of the wires - arthritis. My husband has cut and looped hundreds for me 6-10 at a time. And my daughters and mother have done a lot of the cutting for me. That saved my thumbs.
I have not made a mask in weeks now. For several Months it was all I did.
Yes Vickie, I think the masks I have made are for occasional use ie, in the supermarket or a quick visit. As our shops aren't open there really is nowhere else for me to go where there will be people. We don't bother with take out food. I think if I was to wear a mask all day then yes, I'd want one that goes behind my head - I like the idea of those extenders around the back with buttons.
DeleteI have been able to personally fit all the masks so know the elastic is just right. I was lucky to find wire in our garage - it's perfect for masks and is galvanised so won't rust. I have the right tools to bend the ends in so that's easy. The wire makes such a difference to the fit.
Great mask work! Guess Cole has learned a lesson. Keeps safe.
ReplyDeleteHaha, the old vacuum hickey!!!!
ReplyDeleteI am avoiding going out again except to take Sio to or from work, she works opposite a Countdown so gets anything I need or my boarder does if she picks her up. I have been for a couple of walks. I had to get loo paper from the dairy on day 1 & click & collected new yoga mats so Sio & I can do a zoom yoga class on Fridays so I wore a mask then.
The fact that they really do not know the original source & that the family at the centre of it are obviously a large, social, churchgoing family, the number of contacts throughout Auckland is huge & very widespread throughout the city makes me more nervous this time than last.