Friday, 31 July 2026

Not as planned

Well this weekend's plans have changed. Stu is still really sick.  I've never seen him like this and the timing is not good.  My son and his partner, who arrive today, are now going to stay with my daughter.  It's not ideal because they have to kick Cole out of his bedroom and share with a house of five others. Here they would have had their own end of the house and their own bathroom etc.  

There is just no way they can stay here with Stu the way he is.  He has been in bed since Monday (separate bedroom) and is still coughing and spluttering.  I think some of the throat pain is slightly better and he's had some soft foods like yogurt and soup but that's it.  He will certainly have lost a lot of weight!

I still have a morning cough but thankfully seem to have missed the brunt of whatever virus it is that he has. I was due to get my haircut today but my hairdresser is having her own health issues so I'm now rebooked for Monday after my son leaves. 

We have this wonderful lunch out in the city planned for Sunday but I seriously doubt that Stu will be able to go. It's certainly not the 70th birthday celebration we'd planned.  My actual birthday isn't until Tuesday so hopefully by then we might be able to have a little celebration?  

Life huh?  On a positive side my knee seems to be not quite as bad and I can at least get out and about now.

~ Lynda


13 comments:

  1. Poor Stu, I do hope he recovers soon...it is not a "man thing" lol...as we get older some of the virus's hit harder than usual , did you both have all the flu injections etc? it could be RSV....you and I both have our birthdays on Tuesday ...Peta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we both had the flu vaccine this year. Happy Birthday to you too Peta, I remembered we share the same day :)

      Delete
  2. There is a lot of that virus going around. Both Sio & I had it. I am still coughing like a loon. Enjoy the time with your son, at least he is going to be here even if plans have to change a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully I just got a mild dose of this but so many people have been getting it bad - I've never seen anyone as bad as Stu though. In bed since Monday and literally not moving except for the toilet.

      Delete
  3. Oh know David is still not back at work properly doing short days as he is still so tired.... he works in a small part of the office where no one else is near him. Thank god I didn't get it as bad his him. That was like my 60th we had stuff planned but dad had a heart attack the night before and I spent some of the day with him in hospital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly seems to be a really bad virus going around.

      Delete
  4. How disappointing for you and poor Stu! Sounds very much like RSV. Dreadful virus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, probably RSV but I have no idea why I escaped basically unscathed? Of course until he's better I won't feel totally safe from the virus.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear this, hope Stu starts to recover. Enjoy you Birthday whatever the plans turn out to be. Take care. Get well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you and Stu have the rsv and influenza vaccine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the flu - rsv is not offered here that I’m aware of.

      Delete
  7. I work in a school. RSV vaccine was offered to over-60s, and as I was going to China in the April holidays, I had the flu, RSV and COVID shots. My sister-in-law got RSV, then COVID ( in hospital) and pneumonia and sadly passed away. She was fit and healthy, but it really knocked her about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not publicly funded and costs between $400 and $500 per dose which only lasts up to two years. Crazy that it can cause so much illness and not be funded. Not many people would be getting it at that price sadly. Yes, better than pneumonia but you'd at least think it was funded for those more vulnerable.

      Delete