We had a pretty good visit over to Stu's Dad. I only got stuck with him a couple of times while he went on and on with some story. Overall it was all good though and we went out to the local pub for dinner along with a niece, sister and sister-in-law. It was a lovely evening with lots of laughs.
Later in the evening... while everyone was a little 'inebriated' it got very vocal as Stu and his sister were drilling into their Dad what he should have done when he fell. He has a medical alert button he can push for help but didn't do that for half an hour after his fall last week. They were so funny because every time he told them what happened they'd yell out 'PUSH THE BUTTON'. We were literally rolling around with laughter.
Now, changes. I seem to have lost interest in food. I find it extremely difficult to find anything that appeals to me. We go out for brunch or dinner and I just have to pick something otherwise we leave. It's getting worse and worse. The other day I simply settled for a scone so that Stu would order breakfast. Thinking of what to cook has become a nightmare and I'm so very sick of my cooking and cooking in general. Stu doesn't cook so that's not an option and if he did, it would certainly be something I don't want to eat.
I there there are several reasons for this: Age - it is a real thing to lose your appetite as you age. Another reason is my gastro problem. If I eat anything too rich or too much I suffer but am fine if I monitor what I eat. My medication works well if I eat accordingly. Finally perhaps it's just fear of gaining weight? After years of 'dieting' my brain just tells me not to eat. Who knows? I was never a foodie but still need to eat.
You'd think I'd lose weight? No, I still eat but just don't enjoy it or crave it. Hopefully this will pass.
We had a lovely evening the other night at my daughter's place and today we are taking the boys out for a little adventure somewhere. We bought a new desk for F and Stu has given him a computer (one he already owned) with a massive monitor to help with his University studies. We have both had dentist appointments this week and I have a hair appointment later in the week. After that we are off in the motorhome for a few days.
~ Lynda
| Stu and his sister having a laugh the other night. |
| Drilling in to Stu's father to 'PUSH THE BUTTON' if he needs to, it was so funny. |
| Stu goofing around, it was a fun night. |
So pleased you had some laughs at Stu’s Dads. Have you thought about using Hello Fresh or My Food Bag for a few weeks. It at least takes away the “what shall I cook” part of the equation. You just grab the bag & do it. You pick the meals for the week from the options so you can choose ones that are not spicy.
ReplyDeleteI have thought about that but we are so often away and I don't want to have to be here to get a delivery. I like spicy food by the way but a lot of the foods I would make/get Stu doesn't eat (ie Chinese). I am also extremely challenged when following any recipes or directions. My daughter sometimes gets the food bags and I am so confused looking at the instructions but I think Stu could do that (if we were home to get the delivery).
DeleteGood idea Tracy, I have had Hello Fresh in the past and really liked it. There’s a great range and it sort of takes the thinking away of what to cook. I put on 4 kilos while overseas recently and have not lost 1 gram!! It’s doing my head in. I’m a little like you Lynda,but my preference is to eat pasta, noodles, rice all of which my husband is not mad on, so we don’t have it regularly but if we go out, I am straight to the carbs. What I have found getting older is that my tolerance level is so low it’s pitiful 😂. Marie, Melbourne
ReplyDeleteYou'll be fine Marie but it sure is harder to lose weight as we get older. I'm happy to maintain these days. 4 kilos, you obviously had a good time then :)
DeleteWhen was the last time you had full blood work done? When is/was your annual doctors appointment? When was the last time you had your medicines reviewed? If this is a warning sign, take advantage of catching a problem early.
ReplyDeleteI was sick of cooking and we did Green Chef for a full year. Four bags a week. Worked great for a full year. I streamline the directions so I use as few bowls as possible. Cooking and clean up are very quick.
Then I got tired of that (all the time) too. So now we do Green Chef for a week, every three weeks or so. It breaks things up. We love the food/recipes, very fast simple. I use a rice cooker with a steamer insert to make things easy for the grains.
We do the vegetarian option because I was worried about shipping raw meat. My husband shreds chicken (I have baked) and puts it in portion sizes in the freezer. I add chicken to every Green chef meal.
Our shipments come Friday. We can easily pick/skip weeks.
I think I originally got to pick the ship day, so if you chose a day that worked and then left as soon as the box arrived, this could work for you traveling, I think. You can get more than four meals, so you could stock up for a trip.
In retrospect, I was sick of deciding what to cook. So I wrote myself a schedule (stew Monday so we have leftovers for lunches, taco Tuesday, etc) and that now helps for the weeks we do not get Green Chef.
I also have a lot of ready to eat things in the refrigerator/freezer that are real food and easy to put together for lunches: Hard boiled eggs, fruit, nuts, lots of chopped veggies, etc.
Besides the cooked chicken and cooked lean chopped hamburger meat in the freezer, I also freeze things in various cube sizes to have on hand for recipes (lemon juice, lime juice, marinera sauce, milk, cream cheese, broth, etc). We cannot get through containers fast enough, freezing certain things prevents waste. This prep work in the freezer helps tremendously.
But the main thing that I think would work for you is grilling several times a week and having Stu grill. Meat and vegetables. This would keep your carbs down automatically. You would be able to control portions and fat content easily. Clean up is easily. I think grilled food is appealing.
A crock pot once a week might help too.
And I mentioned a small rice cooker with a steamer insert. I find that very helpful.
You could assign days a method and then meal plan that way: oven, raw, crock pot, grill, rice steamer, etc. It would focus your planning. Every other day could be Stu grilling. You could fill in the in between days.
Vickie
Do you mean BBQ when you say grill? We are nearing winter so don't BBQ at the moment plus I have completely gone off BBQ meats for some reason. We haven't cooked that way for awhile now. I'm hoping all of this will resolve and when we are in the motorhome I do cook and usually enjoy our meals.
DeleteI had all my bloods done only a few months ago when I had that time in hospital and they were extremely thorough. I checked in with my doctor after and she even commented on all the blood tests taken. These were all normal, thankfully. I broke my crockpot so need to buy another for the winter months. Thanks for your suggestions, always appreciated Vickie. I'll see how I go and will try a few new things :)
“In short, grilling means to cook over a fire, hot and fast. Barbecuing refers to cooking over a low flame, much slower. Smoking means to also cook low and slow, whilst also using the smoke produced by the barbecue to cook the food.”
DeleteAroma Housewares 6-Cup (Cooked yield ) / 1.2Qt. Select Stainless Pot-Style Rice Cooker, & Food Steamer, One-Touch Operation, White
DeleteAnother idea would be to look for a free cooking website/blogger that targets your needs - simple, diverse, low carb, appetizing, does the planning for you.
DeleteVickie
Interesting, BBQ here in New Zealand is basically anything outside over a flame, slow or hot and fast. I will take some time to explore some new recipe idea too, goodness knows the internet and Youtube is awash with ideas. I just need to get my head around actually cooking new things :)
DeleteLynda not sure if you follow an Australian asian girl, Nagi. recipetineats.com She has great tasty recipes, by no means all Asian, but well worth a look. (I should follow my own advice, I have a million cookbooks, constantly looking at website recipes and have a subscription to Dish NZ which I LOVE, but can’t be bothered cooking) Marie, Melbourne
ReplyDeleteI follow no one and don't really look at recipes, it's all part of not having an appetite. I look at recipes and just go na, not for me or too hard etc. I know... somethings got to change :)
DeleteWell I have no appetite for ages! Lost 20kg in 2 months the doc didn’t believe me until I weighed in. Was on a lot of blood pressure meds which have now been decreased by docs at hospital. Just didn’t feel like eating gradually getting better. Thankfully I’ve reached a plateau!
ReplyDeleteWho is this? You forgot to leave a name. That's a ton of weight in a short time.
DeleteGood to hear you weekend with Dad went well. Hope you find your appetite. Take care.
ReplyDelete