We are entering our 12th week of lockdown this week. We have no end in sight except when all of the Auckland region reaches 90% fully vaccinated we get a little freedom but ONLY for the vaccinated. That should happen in around two weeks hopefully but our slack government has not organised proof of vaccination yet -- shit, they've only had months and months to work on it! They think we might have our vaccination certificates (as they are calling them) by the end of November?
I'm slowly going mad. Thankfully the financial implications of this does not affect us but there are people out there really, really hurting. I understand that we tried elimination for a long time because there was no vaccine and I understand that we need to be careful but when you have such high vaccination rates as we do right now I have no idea why we can't open up a little. Sixteeen weeks since I've had my hair done but hey, who's counting :)
We have had a little bit of interest in the beach house sale but I think with the main market (Aucklanders) being unable to view it personally, it might not sell for awhile. The agent has sold other homes unseen so we'll see what happens.
We had the boys for four days last week and they were lovely. Cole tries it on from time to time but generally he is very good these days. We will get them back here on Wednesday through to Friday next week.
I have my US friends Becca and Billy coming to visit on Tuesday. They are allowed to visit under the current rules if we meet up outside so I'm hoping for a fine day. They are embracing New Zealand life and loving it here. They really are immersing themselves into our culture which is lovely but I must remind them that it's OK to be American as well!
We took the boys for a walk around the Orakei Basin the other day. They took their scooters which was fantastic until we found that a lot of the paths were muddy and there were a lot of steps. I was pretty slow and held them up because of both the steps (I need to look after my knee that's not been replaced) and because of the mud. Slipping over would not be great for me. Yesterday Stu and I went for our long walk along the Manukau Harbour and home. I feel so much better when I move myself.
That's me for today, riveting stuff I know.
~ Lynda
| Part of the track around the Orakei Basin... a boy's scooter dream track! |
| And around the other side. It's a great walk but I'll wait until it's not muddy next time! |
I adore my grand-daughters but having had only boys I really miss little boys. They bring so much simple joy. You are lucky to be able to walk in lockdown. We were limited to 5k radius from home and there isn't much! We couldn't even go to the beach which is a suburb away. Fingers crossed the beach house sells quickly. I wonder if the politicians thought ahead or just reacted with a knee jerk at every stage.
ReplyDeleteYes, I love our boys. I always thought I'd want grand daughters but am so glad for my gorgeous boys :)
DeleteI love that Orakei Basin walk but the mid & steps are a bummer :-).
ReplyDeleteEven I am over this bloody lockdown, I am also sick of hearing about Covid :-)
When we are allowed to meet in person we should catch up at the usual cafe - or we can have a picnic :-)
We can meet up now Tracy - maybe get some goodies from a bakery and picnic somewhere? I have the boys from Wednesday but they love a picnic too.
DeleteMy daughters have been asked to present their vaccination cards several times. I have not yet. My mom is trying a new beautician who said she has her vaccination card available/posted. The touch it once and done part of me just cringes that they did not hand you your card when you got your shot. So much extra work they have just made for themselves.
ReplyDeleteWe were given a card when we were vaccinated (it shows the two dates of our vaccination) but this is not the official document that will be needed. I think they are looking at some sort of proof on our phone like Australia is using. We will see what they come up with.
DeleteSo the concern is forged cards? And the thing on your phone will be more fool proof? And places will have some type of scanner that reads it?
DeleteNo knows Vickie. I think we'll be going for something like Australia which is on your phone. Time will tell what the government comes up with!
DeleteIs it likely businesses will actually comply? Turn away $$$ from unvaccinated? I totally agree, it is a good theory, but it is hard to picture for store sales. I can see restaurants complying because demand will probably be high after lockdown and it will not mean less $$$ for them.
DeleteThey have to comply, it will be law. It seems to be working in Australia so we'll see when the time comes. There are more protests here now though than last year.
DeleteHope the situation improves and you can get back to normal life some day soon. Enjoy the great outdoors in the mean time.
ReplyDeleteI know, I'm just moaning. You've been locked down so know how it feels. It will get better but it's incredibly frustrating.
DeleteYes I know exactly how you feel. Looking forward to the day we can put this behind us once and for all.
DeleteLynda here in Melbourne we have a vax certificate on our phone. We have been out a number of times to restaurants etc now that we can and every place we have been to has been vigilant, met us at the door, checked our certificate then allowed us in. Works well and so far I haven’t seen any angst from others.
ReplyDeleteI think that is the system we will be getting.
Delete